I know it’s now 2014 and, as a result, this blog post is a little late, but I’ve been very busy lately. Even today, the sun is shining and the trails are calling my name so I’ll make this a brief recap of the past year.
The Fun Stuff:
What a year! So much has happened that I don’t know where to start so I guess I’ll start from the beginning.
I made the crazy decision to sign up for my first ever ultra! I found a training plan online thanks to the Ultra Ladies Running Club and started on down that path. January was also the month that I realized that I like snowshoe running.
I ran my first snowshoe race and ran my fastest 10k ever. I even beat an Olympic qualifier (thanks to my ability to remain upright in snowshoes). Taylor also came to visit and we had an awesome time playing in the snow.
I went to Tahoe for a week and spent a ton of time snowshoeing (and a little time snowboarding). I think I ran/hiked around 60 miles on snowshoes that week. I also went to Boston for my mom and dad’s birthdays. We went a little crazy with the costumes! March was also the birth of Vertical Miles.
Thanks to some late season snow, I was able to hike Green Mountain outside of Boulder in the snow. I also took a hill running clinic where I met Laurie, one of my favorite running buddies. Taylor and I ran the Nike Women’s Half Marathon (her first) where she finished in under 2 hours!
I met my other favorite running buddy Gaby in May. Laurie, Gaby, and I went on a couple epic running adventures in the Boulder area. I ran in the BolderBoulder for the first time (one of the largest 10ks in the country). I spent Memorial Day camping along the Colorado River (tons of fun) but unfortunately did something that has yet to be determined to my hamstring which caused my running to pretty stop in the second half of the year.
I ran my first ultramarathon at the North Face Endurance Challenge in DC with my mom as my pacer and Taylor as my crew. It was a great experience and if I didn’t have new running experiences to pursue I would be back in 2014.
I experienced my first true running failure at the Silver Rush 50. I pulled myself out of the mountain bike race since the trails were more technical than my skill level and I didn’t want to hurt myself. I was medically disqualified from the run due to hypothermia and altitude sickness. Let me tell you, a numb body and euphoria don’t mix very well.
I went to the beach with my family for a fun and sun filled week. I also pretty much stopped running due to my hamstring injury. Six months after the initial injury and it’s still bothering me a little bit. At least I’m not still hobbling along like an old woman.
My family went to Hawaii for 10 days. We enjoyed the Big Island, Maui, and Oahu. I definitely need to go back and explore the islands a little more. Maybe with a backpack and my tent?
Our Hawaiian adventure continued into October. When I got back home I was able to spend some time finally settling into my new apartment. October also happens to have my favorite holiday (besides Christmas and Thanksgiving). I had multiple costumes including a minion from Despicable Me (below), Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys, a band groupie, and a mermaid.
Ski season started! I made it to opening day of Vail and Beaver Creek (fourth year in a row for Beaver Creek opening day)! I managed to board/ski 7 days in the month of November, the most I’ve ever done this early in the season.
The skiing and snowboarding continued. I also made it home for 8 days to see my family for Christmas. I came up to the mountains for an amazing New Years Eve. The rest you’ll have to wait until the next post to hear about.
The Boring Stuff:
- Total Miles: 1220.02
- Total Time: 255 hours 1 minute 10 seconds
- Average Pace: 12:32 min/mile
- Total Elevation Gain: 114,735 ft
- Average Elevation Gain: 94.04 ft/mile
- Total Races: 12
- Longest Race: North Face Endurance Challenge 50 miler
- Shortest Race: Vail Hill Climb (2.02 miles)
- Fastest Race Pace: 8:00 min/mile (Beaver Creek Snowshoe Series 10k)
- Approximate Calories Burned: 133,475.5 calories
- Approximate number of pounds avoided: 38.14 lbs
- Total Miles: 391.35
- Total Time: 31 hours 34 minutes 43 seconds
- Average Pace: 4:50 min/mile
- Total Elevation Gain: no idea I didn’t track it (I’ll do better next year)
- Total Races: 1
- Longest Race: Copper Mountain Games Duathalon
- Shortest Race: Copper Mountain Games Duathalon
- Fastest Race Pace: 5:56 min/mile
- Approximate Calories Burned: 7,907 calories
- Approximate number of pounds avoided: 2.26 lbs
– Strength Training:
- Total Times: 69 hours 15 minutes 47 seconds
- Approximate Calories Burned: 20,700 calories
- Approximate number of pounds avoided: 5.91 lbs
- Total Days: 24
- Total Vertical Feet: 216,336 ft
- Total Mountains Visited: 8 (Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, and Heavenly)
- Approximate Calories Burned: 9,233.3 calories
- Approximate number of pounds avoided: 2.64 lbs
- Total Miles: 1611.37
- Total Time: 355 hours 51 minutes 40 seconds
- Total Elevation Gain: 114,735 ft plus what I didn’t track for biking
- Total Vertical Feet: 216.336 ft
- Total Approximate Calories Burned: 171,315.8 calories
- Total Number of Pounds Avoided: 48.95 lbs
I can’t wait for an even better 2014!! Next up, my goals and plans for the new year.